Since 1922, the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Center has continued to evolve in providing a safe and nurturing environment for the changing needs of Newport County residents who seek nutritional, educational, and social supports to improve the quality of their lives.
The Dr. Martin Luther King Junior Community Center will continue to be a vital community resource that serves the diverse members of the Newport County Community. The primary focus of the MLK Community Center is on hunger relief, nutrition awareness and counseling, education and community support. As the needs of the community change, it is essential for the Center to be nimble and innovative in addressing them in a cost-effective manner.
THE PEOPLE WE SERVE
The people we serve are primarily, but not exclusively, low income individuals and families in Newport County.
OUR VALUES AND GUIDING PRINCIPLES
- We run high quality programs, seeking out best practices.
- We are flexible and creative in addressing the needs of our clients.
Respect and Compassion
- Each of us treats people – those we serve, those we work with, and those who support us – fairly and equitably, with compassion and without judgment based on their circumstances.
- We take care of our resources, which include our legacy, our people, and our physical and financial resources.
- We make decisions responsibly, with honesty and integrity, and in the long term best interests of the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Center and its mission.
- We are committed to partnerships with other organizations to help better serve those in the greatest need and to strengthen us as an organization.
- We collaborate internally.
- We encourage volunteers to participate in our work.
- We believe that education breaks the cycle of hopelessness and will help both children and adults have a greater chance of living fulfilling lives.
- The safety of our children is of the utmost priority.
- We believe educational success is created in a nurturing environment.
- All people have the right to determine their future: therefore, we encourage and support our clients to make choices that will improve their health and well-being.