Thank you for the many ways that each of you contribute to the health and well-being of our neighbors.
Volunteers are crucial to our ability to sustain our vital programming. Your contributions to the MLK benefit so many in such a wide variety of ways. You are the fuel that helps us continue running. Without you, our food pantry hours would be shorter and the working poor in Newport County would be unable to access food assistance. Without you, many of our neighbors would start their day without breakfast. Without you, we would be unable to provide programming that moves families from hunger to health. Without you, our historic building would be in disrepair, our staff would be working longer hours, and our families would not receive many of the services they deserve.
Click Here to Download a Volunteer Application. Contact Nancy Harten at 401-846-4828 x 103 or at firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer.
Below is a listing of our programs and opportunities. Volunteers can request days and times that fit their schedules.
HUNGER RELIEF PROGRAMS
1. Feed a Friend Food Pantry: Provides household, perishable & non-perishable food items to NewportCounty residents. Pantry is open Mon., Wed., Fri. 10AM – 2PM and Wed. 4:30PM – 7PM.
Volunteer opportunities & times:
Pantry guides escort clients through food pantry.
Volunteer Hours: Mon., Wed., Fri. 10am – 12pm or 12pm – 2pm; Wed. 4:30pm – 7pm
Stockers re-stock pantry, must be able to lift 30 lbs.
Volunteer Hours: Tue. 10am – 12pm, Thur. 10am – 12pm, Wed. & Fri. 2pm – 4pm
Back-up Driver picks up donations from BJ’S (Middletown) and brings to MLK Center. Must have own transportation, pick-up truck works best.
Volunteer Hours: Mon. & Tue., 8am call BJ’s/9:30am – 11am pick-up & delivery
Seasonal Food Baskets Sort, inventory, pack Thanksgiving and Holiday food baskets.
Volunteer Hours: Thanksgiving: begins 10/31 Mon.–Fri. 10am–2pm
Holiday: begins 12/2 Mon.-Fri. 10am–2pm
2. Breakfast Program: MLKCenter provides a free, self-serve morning meal of cereals, bagels, pastry, and coffee/tea from 7:30AM – 8:30AM, Mon. – Fri.
Duties: Set-up dining/food tables, start coffee/hot water, replenish food trays, take client attendance, clean-up, light kitchen work.
Volunteer Hours: Mon. – Fri. 7AM – 9AM
3. Food 2 Friends: Grocery order deliveries of produce and household items from the Center’s food pantry to hungry and homebound residents of NewportCounty, Thursday afternoons.
Shoppers/baggers fill client grocery order forms from food pantry, bag groceries.
Volunteer Hours: Thursday, 12pm – 2pm
Delivery drivers pick up filled orders at MLK Center and deliver to clients’ homes. Must have own transportation.
Volunteer Hours: Thursday, anytime between 2pm and 5pm
Food 2 Friends Van driver brings filled grocery order to a drop off point in Portsmouth, meeting the delivery drivers.
4. Food Drives: Organize and run a food drive for MLK’s food pantry at your workplace, school, place of worship, etc.
******NEEDED YEAR ROUND******
5. Panera Bread pick-up/sort: Panera Bread donates bread, bagels & pastries to MLK mornings, Mon. – Fri.
Duties: Pick-up Panera Bread donations @ downtown Newport location, deliver to MLKCenter, sort and count.
Volunteer Hours: M – F 8am – 9:30am (can vary)
1. Santa’s Workshop: Toy selection for Center families during the holidays.
Duties: Set-up room for toy selection, monitor tables, assist clients, wrapping & clean-up.
2. Photographer: Take pictures for the Center on an “as needed” basis.
Duties: Photograph special MLKCenter events, education programs, food programs, etc.
Volunteer Hours: As needed
3. Lunch & Learn For Seniors: Workshops on topics of interest for seniors (ex. Medicaid, elder crimes, financial topics), lunch is provided, once per month, 12pm – 1:45pm.
Duties: Assist with set-up, serving, clean-up; guest speaker.
Volunteer Hours: Monthly, 12:30pm – 1:30pm
4. Special Events: Swing into Spring Annual Fundraising Event, PellBridge Run, etc.
Duties: Assist in set up, greeting/checking in guest; general event support, cashier/check-out, clean up.
Volunteer Hours: TBA, on “as needed” basis
5. Volunteer Chef for Family Dinners, Lunch & Learn, Community Dinners, and LivFit cooking classes:
Duties: Plan meal with our Registered Dietitian, help with serving, clean-up.
Volunteer Hours: Family Dinners, Community Dinners, LivFit – Monthly, 5pm – 7pm; Lunch & Learn, Monthly 12-1:30pm
6. General office work
Duties: Answering phones, copying, computer work, filing, special projects, etc.
Volunteer Hours: M – F 10am – 6pm
7. Data Entry
Duties: Enter information into database system; will provide training on Center’s case management system.
Volunteer Hours: Flexible
Duties: Varied, painting, furniture moving, gardening, cleaning, window cleaning, etc.
Volunteer Hours: TBD
9. Driver: Must have own transportation, pick-up truck preferred
Duties: General pick-ups and deliveries, i.e. large donations.
Volunteer Hours: Varies
10. Other: Do you have an area of interest that is not mentioned? Please call Nancy Harten at 401-846-4828 x 103 or email her at Nharten@mlkccenter.org.